Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hip Hop Manager Chris Lighty Found Dead From Apparent Suicide


Hip Hop Mogul Chris Lighty Found Shot Dead due to apparent suicide The long time manager of 50 Cent, Diddy, Ja Rule, and Mariah Carey was found dead this morning in NYC from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His body was found by police around 11:30 AM in the backyard of his Bronx apartment. Lighty was pronounced dead on the scene, where a semi-automatic firearm was recovered. The death is being investigated as a suicide. Earlier today, he was involved in a spat with his ex-wife at his South Riverdale apartment and law enforcement sources also believe he was dealing with financial struggles, including a $5 million tax debt to the IRS. When he first started in the music industry, Chris work alongside DJ Red Alert and moved on to working as a road manager for Boogie Down Productions. Later, he worked with groups like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and The Jungle Brothers, and worked with Russell Simmons RUSH Management company before forming Violator Management.

This is so sad. This is the second music exec to take his life in the last four year. The Hip Hop work is definitely feeling his tragedy today.


Here are some celebz who took to twitter to express their feelings:

Nick Cannon: “I’m devastated right now. I can’t believe my big brother Chris Lighty is gone… He was a pioneer, a mentor, and a great friend RIP. I truly believe to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, but I just feel like Chris’s work wasn’t finish on earth.” 

N.O.R.E.: I WILL BE VIOLATOR FOR LIFE 4EVER. 

Ice-T: “I’m f**ked up right now…. Chris was my dude. I can’t believe this. we go back…. No matter how big Chris got… He always treated me like the young kid I met , hustlin hard at the ‘New Music Seminar’ BACKINTHEDAY RIP” 

Lil Scrappy: Rip @clighty an thanks for introducing me to @50cent n so many others n our path,I pray for him God bless his soul an his fam n give comfort. Thank u for helping me take my business to next level,it was a blessing God pls bless his soul 

DJ Whoo Kid: RIP Chris Lighty — A very Sad day in Hip Hop and Life itself — my brother is gone. 

Scooter Braun: hard to believe it is true but RIP to my friend Chris Lighty. gone too soon 

Sway: Chris Lighty, Thank you for helping some of the Worlds greatest entertainers to be heard & seen over the years, long live your legacy. #RIP 

Fat Joe: R.I.P CHRIS LIGHTY THE MAN THAT SAVED MY LIFE!!! I Would Be Nothing Without YOU!!! My Kids Appreciate YOU God Bless Chris Lighty 

Ghostface Killah: Hard one to grab Yo damn…. My most humble prayers to the family of Chris Lighty!

Diggy Simmons:
Still in shock.. More than just my manager but my family. Love you and gonna miss you Chris. R.I.P 

Jeff Robinson: So very sad about Chris lighty..Great long time friend,fellow bronxite and peer…incredible businessman and person. Its very sad..no one knows what pressures we all really have behind the masks put on for the public and even family and friends.. Pray that we all find our true peace within ourselves& through our lord & savior in whom we ALL lay open,naked & exposed 2 core of our souls.

Vivica A. Fox OH WOW!! Chris Lighty u will be missed! This is soo shocking! Treasure Life Tweeps!

Diddy "In shock. R.I.P."

DJ Khaled ‏R.I.P chris lighty!! Chris is hip hop, a friend & a gr8 person! When I came in the game he acknowledged me from the beginning & aspired 4 me 2 B gr8! Chris always wanted 2 help everyone! & did! Much luv 2 the family & my prayers R w/ them!

Lloydbanks ‏R.I.P Chris Lighty

Free ‏RIP to @clighty prayers up to his entire family, siblings, wife and kids. Music Industry Legend, #goodman

Mack Maine‏ R.I.P. Chris Lighty.....#wow

Monica Brown Another tragic loss!! God Bless the Lighty Fam,My heart aches

Terrence J RIP to Chris Lighty. Dude gave me life changing advice & wisdom. A tragic loss, he will be deeply missed. Prayers to the family.

Chuck D‏ R I P Chris Lighty SMH to the mongrels that have made the BLACKmusic industry a depressing game to drag such good cats into a pit of bullsht

PUSHA T Rest in Peace @clighty this is terrible news!!

Rocsi Diaz R.I.P Chris Lighty

DJ DRAMA‏ Wow. no words. RIP Chris Lighty.

Ludacris‏ R.I.P. Chris Lightly who always had the best energy every time I had an encounter with him. He will be missed

Joe Budden Damn Chris Lighty ...... Smh. #RIP

Childish Gambino rest in peace Chris Lighty. thank you for everything

Chuck D ‏R I P Chris Lighty SMH to the mongrels that have made the BLACK music industry a depressing game to drag such good cats into a pit of bullish

OMAR EPPS Chris Lighty was a pioneer in hip hop & the music biz period! He was a good man & a good friend. Prayers for his family & his children..

Sway Calloway RIP Chris Lighty http://bit.ly/PT6zh6

Jennifer Williams Very sad news about Chris Lighty... You never know someone's inner struggles... #RIP

Rah Digga Chris Lighty was everything to me in my Flipmode years. So busy rescuing others sorry we couldn't rescue you. You will be missed brother...

Russell Simmons: I am deeply saddened by the loss of a hip-hop hero. Chris Lighty has been a dear friend of mine since he was a kid. Was a brilliant partner in business and I was so proud of all that he had accomplished. He is an amazing example of how a passionate kid from the street can go to the most even-keeled, smart, thoughtful manager in the business and a generous philanthropist. He was loved by everyone who knew him, including me. He will be missed greatly by all of us.

John Legend: RIP Chris Lighty. Hip-hop visionary.

Kelly Price: Chris Lighty was a power player in this business. PLEASE lets see that we ALL need love, support and encouragement. WE HAVE2HOLDEACHOTHERUP

?uestlove: Man, I’m really sorry about Chris Lighty. Such a nice guy to me & my band. May God rest his soul. Peace to his family.

Big Sean: RIP Chris Lighty. my condolences to the family and loved ones.

Keyshia Cole: Sad at the amount of influential people we’re losing to suicide!!!!! Damn man!!! Come on!!!

Jay Electronica: this C.Lighty news really saddens me at the core. Peace on him and his loved ones.

Talib Kweli: Rest in peace Chris Lighty. Your words and your vision are constant inspiration to me. Forever.

Ameriie: God bless Chris Lighty and his family…rest in peace.

Soulja Boy: R.I.P my manager Chris Lighty, I know you’re in a better place. this shit got me so fucked up big bro we just talked on the phone 2 days ago

Nicki Minaj: Another tragic & inconceivable loss for the culture. #RIPChrisLighty

Rihanna: Rest peacefully Chris Lighty, my prayers go out to family and loved ones! Dear God please have mercy

Marsha Ambrosius: RIP Chris Lighty. Prayers to family and loved ones.

Big Boi: RIP Chris Lighty

Magic Johnson: So sad to hear the news about hip-hop mogul Chris Lighty passing. My prayers go out to his family.

Ciara: So Sad, and Truly Unbelievable:(..May Chris Lighty Rest In Peace..

Tameka J. Raymond: Rest Peacefully Chris Lighty... This business is not healthy. So much pain. He was a Key player in the music business. I hate this news. Smh


No comments:

Post a Comment